Five scenes on one canvas of Holy Trinity Church, Bulcote, Nottinghamshire
Oil. 1867. Bulcote Church.
Bulcote is a village about 10 km east of Nottingham, on the the north side of the River Trent. The five scenes show the mediŠval church (bottom left), the proud architect (top left), the new church (bottom right) and its interior (top right). The significance of the oak tree in the top central panel is not clear but Bussey may be making another allusion to Royal Oak Day.
Here is a detail showing the new church.
For more information see the website for Holy Trinity Church, Bulcote, Nottinghamshire. Reproduced with grateful thanks to John Fisher and the Bulcote Church.